Paris, France - 19 September, 2008
1. Various shots inside trading room at Richelieu Finance (a French fund management and financial services group)
2. Nathalie Pelras, Head of Equity Management, Richelieu Finance, on the phone
3. Close of Pelras' eyes
4. SOUNDBITE: (French) Nathalie Pelras, Head of Equity Management, Richelieu Finance:
"Today the French market is up more then 6 per cent, mainly thanks to the banks and insurance stocks. What explains this strong rise is what was announced yesterday in the United States: a plan of more then one thousand billion dollars to help the financial companies. And that is what is boosting the market. So technically we have a recovery. You have to remember that it decreased a lot recently and we still aren't back to the shares prices we had two weeks ago. So we will need more then these measures in order to make this boost last."
5. Traders at desks, working
6. Close of graphs on computer screen showing the evolution of the CAC-40
Moscow, Russia - 19 September, 2008
7. Interior of Moscow Interbank Currency Exchange (MICEX)
8. Various of traders
10. SOUNDBITE (English) Alexei Rybnikov, Director, Moscow Interbank Currency Exchange (MICEX) :
"In the first half hour, the growth of the index, the technical index, which measures all of the stocks traded on MICEX stock exchange, increased by 15 percent which led to an automatic suspension of trading until an order by the federal securities market regulator, which we are expecting to receive, hopefully."
12. SOUNDBITE (English) Alexei Rybnikov, Director, Moscow Interbank Currency Exchange (MICEX):
"We think that the most deep phase of the crisis has already passed. We think that trust in the financial system is rebuilding again and we can see that judged by today's growth in the market."
13. Rybnikov on the phone
Washington DC, US - 18 September, 2008
14. Wide of meeting with congressional leaders seated to left of screen and US President George W Bush's administration officials to right
15. Push in to Christopher Cox, Chairman of US Securities and Exchange Commission, and US Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke seated across table from US House Speaker Nancy Pelosi
16. Pan to Pelosi, seated in between Senate Majority leader Harry Reid (to her right) and House Minority Leader John Boehner (to her left)
17. UPSOUND (English) Nancy Pelosi, Speaker of the House:
"Good evening. I'm very pleased to welcome the Democratic and Republican leadership of the House and Senate, as well as the representatives of the administration led by Secretary Paulson and independent agencies, Mr. Chris Cox and Chairman Bernanke. Thank you all for joining us as we come together understanding that we have a financial crisis in our country, that we're here to work together for solutions that resolve that crisis in a way that insulates the tax payers, consumers, main street, from the crisis on Wall Street. Thank you all very much. Good night."
Washington DC, US - 18 September, 2008
18. SOUNDBITE: (English) Nancy Pelosi, US Speaker of the House:
"Good evening. We just had what I believe was a very productive meeting where we heard from the administration and from the chairman of the Fed, an initiative to help resolve the financial crisis in our country. Our purpose is to do that and in doing so, to insulate Main Street from Wall Street and recognise our responsibility to the tax payer, to the consumer, and to people all across our country."
19. SOUNDBITE: (English) Henry Paulson, US Treasury Secretary:
20. SOUNDBITE: (English) Ben Bernanke, Chairman of US Federal Reserve Bank:
21. Wide of officials exiting
Germany's DAX added 3.9 percent.
You can license this story through AP Archive: http://www.aparchive.com/metadata/youtube/1047099f3ef4596689432879d0c648b2
Find out more about AP Archive: http://www.aparchive.com/HowWeWork